Monday, February 4, 2013

Mountains

I don't have pictures of today because they are all on my camera, we are using phones to write this.

Today a team of about 12 went an hour and a half up into the mountains. Literally the most beautiful place I have ever been. But we worked in a four room building with no electricity. I was in charge of sterilizing instruments, which without power is done by what is called "cold sterol" but I manned that station to the best of my ability and managed not to get too much on me!
We saw about 80 patients in those four rooms and took out over 100 teeth. We were pulling because there are no other options for most of these people. I saw some pretty black teeth on The trays. For the most part all the patients were troopers! Even the babies! Everyone was so happy too, but from the looks of the teeth coming out they must have been in a lot of pain.

One of the coolest things I saw today was one of our team mates took the time to educate the people there on the importance of teeth brushing and trying to care for their mouths.
As a public health person I was stoked. ( nope I'm not a school teacher! Surprise for some I'm sure) I would LOVE to be able to come back and do health education and develop ways to maintain the work that is done by not just this group but all groups. The village we were at has already had a lot of work done for their water purification which is HUGE for their overall health and well being.
Today was insane. (in a good way). I have never been apart of anything like that before and still can't believe I did it.

Crazy crazy crazy! I'll post pictures when I get back to the states.

-Marie

1 comment:

  1. Marie you were awesome with the cold sterile!!! I could no have had a better person for that job you were amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete